Guest writer MissMalini gives up her take and inside scoop on the 2009 Filmfare awards!
Saturday night’s star-studded ceremony featured some of Bollywood’s biggest acts with of course a shimmering parade down the red carpet first! Shah Rukh Khan and Saif Ali Khan returned as the masters of ceremony along with Karan Johar (clearly the trio are a well-oiled machine.) The winners included; Best Film and Best Director (Rajkumar Hirani) for 3 Idiots, Best Actor & Best Actress to Amitabh Bachchan & Vidya Balan for Paa. Boman Irani bagged a well-deserved Best Supporting Actor for 3 Idiots, Kalki Koechlin for Dev.D. while A.R. Rahman’s music won for Delhi — 6. Meanwhile the critics favored director Nandita Das for Firaaq, Ranbir Kapoor in Wake up Sid, Ajab Prem Ki Gazan Kahani and Rocket Singh, Mahie Gill for Dev.D.. And now here are the more “juicy” highlights, just like I promised; the good, the bad and the ugly way!
- Katrina Kaif sizzled on stage with a range of hits from Ajab Prem Ki Gazab Kahani (and oddly) Britney Spears’ 1,2,3.
- Riteish Deshmukh serenaded his current fav Jacqueline Fernandes, on stage to Nach Ve from Jaane Kahaan Se Aayi Hai.
- Deepika Padukone danced to her very popular tracks Uff Teri Ada and Twist.
- Shahid Kapoor raised the bar with his tribute to Michael Jackson on Thriller, The Way You Make Me Feel, Dangerous and Smooth Criminal (moon walk et al).
- Shah Rukh Khan and Saif Ali Khan also got Sexomatic and Chiggy Wiggy (I would normally have filed this under *barf* but I like them more than I hate that song!)
- Bollywood’s real life couples Shah Rukh and Gauri Khan and Hrithik & Suzanne Roshan attended the Filmfare Awards 2010 night together hand-in-hand, awwwww.
- On receiving his Lifetime Achievement Award Shashi Kapoor simply said ‘thank you’.
- Salman Khan hit the stage with a medley of his all time favorites from Hum Aapke Hai Kaun, Andaz Apna Apna, Judwaa, Partner, Wanted and London Dreams — paired with Kareena Kapoor for eye-candy. I’m sorry but the dude can’t dance. Not anymore anyway, since his upper body is about as flexible as a brick wall and my apologies to the Kareena fans but I really don’t think Kareena’s that pretty at all but she definitely dances better than him! (Psst! Kareena missed the awards cos she was shooting an ad film — that’s why SRK Twittered that he missed her — but she pre-recorded her performances for the telecast — clever!)
- Deepika Padukone and Katrina Kaif are nowhere near being BFFs. Why? Over a boy of course! Ranbir Kapoor seems to be the bone of contention between these two so they gave each other the cold shoulder backstage even though they were both performing. But they’ve ignored each other before so no biggie really.
And The Ugly!
- Is it just me or is Vidya Balan looking a little aunty-esque here? Anyhoo, aunty Balan went up and collected both the Best Actor and Best Actress awards on her lonesome-ownsome. Why? Because the Bachchan’s are pissed, that’s why!
The Bachchans flip Filmfare
The Bachchans flip and skip Filmfare (don’t get too excited this picture is from a pro-voting campaign!)
-And how! Ever since The Times of India tabloid, Mumbai Mirror printed that article about Aishwarya Rai’s pregnant pause (to which she wrote this scathing reply) Bollywood’s first family would have nothing to do with an award show hosted by the same media house. Big B announced the news on his blog that the whole Bachchan family and Paa director Balki is going to miss Filmfare this year:
“There is much here that needs explanation and it would need expanse and more time. Suffice to say for the moment that despite a few personal apologies from management, no public apology has taken place. You cannot abuse me in public and then come and say sorry to me in private. So even though we have great relations with the family in ownership and despite the fact that we have continuously responded to their needs whenever desired, unstintingly — the lawyers notice has been delivered to the editor of Mumbai Mirror, seeking on a legal plane retraction and apology and we have informed Filmfare that neither will Aishwarya be performing at the event, for which all preparations had been made and neither shall any of us be attending. Which includes Balki the director of the film, even when Paa has been nominated in five categories for the evening. No coercion, just a voluntary decision of solidarity. Thank you Balki!! Instead he shall be coming over to discuss a few new and exciting ideas for our next film!! Couldn’t have chosen a better time!!!”
Oh boy and in your face! So ummm…Vineet Jain – who’s your daddy now?! (Sorry I just felt like saying that, he seems like the guy who usually gets everything he wants!)
Filmfare’s fashion victims
- Every award show has them. The ones who show up looking straight up fugly! (What kills me is how much money they must have dished out to look like that!) Mugdha Godse wore a sheer purple colored saree straight out of blingy saas-bahu serial. Mahi Gill’s black-brown gown was a close second (on the disaster scale) to her cakey foundation. Lara Dutta who used to be so stylish (what happened?) wore a voluminous Chinese satin gown. (Heads up ladies, it’s never a good sign when “voluminous” is the only word left to describe your dress.) Simi Garewal looked a little like a danish pastry in her dress (just another reminder of her sickly sweet rendezvous style) and Shruti Hassan looked a bit like an out-of-work fetish model in a beige Christian Dior ensemble. Oh dear.
And there you have it, everything you needed to know (relatively) about the Filmfare awards this year.
Watch: The 55th Idea Filmfare Awards will be telecast on March 7th at 8:00 pm on Sony TV. You can even watch online, woohoo, this is where it’ll be happening with a