Forget Yash Raj Films, UTV Motion Pictures looks like the hottest production company today. Led by Ronnie Screwvala, the company has reached unimaginable heights in a relatively short time span. With their latest film, Kismat Konnection, opening to a 75-100% response, the company has their fourth consecutive hit this year.
They began the year early with Jodhaa Akbar starring Hrithik Roshan and Aishwarya Rai. The film received critical and audience appreciation and is considered to be one of the finest films released this year. Not to mention, it grossed mind-boggling figures overseas and left UTV elated.
Their second hit was Abbas-Mustan’s Race which was a completely different departure from their last release. An out and out commercial entertainer led by a multistarrer cast, the film struck a chord with the masses right away. It received one of the best openings of the year and is currently in the top five hits category.
Their sister banner UTV Spot Boy released Aamir starring Rajeev Khandelwal a few months ago to immense acclaim and praise. The film may not have stormed the box office like JA or Race, but it garnered unbelievable appreciation and did wonders for Rajeev’s career. Also, it marked the debut of a promising director.
And finally, the latest of them all, the Shahid Kapur and Vidya Balan starrer directed by Aziz Mirza, Kismat Konnection has managed to open extremely well despite average reviews. Many are saying that it’s an extremely “average” romance film, but box office figures have a different story to tell. This is also Shahid’s third consecutive success after Vivah and Jab We Met.
They have also distributed successful films like Jaane Tu…Ya Jaane Na.
The following are UTV’s upcoming films as a producer:
– Shyam Benegal’s Mahadev Ka Sajjanpur starring Amrita Rao and Shreyas Talpade
– Nishikant Kamat’s Mumbai Meri Jaan starring Kay Kay Menon, Irrfan Khan, Soha Ali Khan, Madhavan and Paresh Rawal
– Rakeysh Mehra’s Dilli 6 starring Sonam Kapoor and Abhishek Bachchan
– Prem Soni’s Main aur Mrs. Khanna starring Salman Khan and Kareena Kapoor
– Anurag Kashyap’s Dev D starring Abhay Deol
– Madhur Bhandarkar’s Fashion starring Priyanka Chopra and Kangna Ranaut
Which are you most excited for?