The biggest stars of Bollywood may arguably be the most criticized celebrities in the world. You can absolutely love their performance in one film, while their next can leave doubts in your head. You can be irritated by the repetitiveness of their roles. Or even get sick of seeing them with the same co-stars. Or question their ability to act. This countdown marks the stars that are the most criticized for doing exactly these things. If they don’t watch out, their careers may be at stake…
5. Aishwarya Rai Bachchan– Versatility is one attribute the gorgeous former Miss Rai has to her credit. From the ‘sexy lady on the floor’ Sunehri (Dhoom 2), to the battered housewife Kiranjit (Provoked), to the tawayaf (Umrao Jaan), to critically acclaimed roles in ‘Raincoat’ and ‘Chokher Bali’, you name it she’s probably played it! So you might be wondering why put her on this list? Well lately it seems the variety of potential co-stars are decreasing faster than you can say ‘hey are you like checking me out?’. It maybe safe to say she won’t be working with the 3 Khans in the near future, and while it’s not hampering her performance wise, how long is it until the audience gets bored of seeing her with the same co-stars constantly (namely Abhishek)? Let’s hope for new and exciting pairings in the future! Looking back on Dhoom 2 and the huge hype that the new pairing of Aishwarya – Hrithik caused; you can see what an impact a little variety would make on her career!
4. Preity Zinta– Undeniable beauty with a lovable personality to match, you can’t help but love this actress! But a constant criticism this star faces is the lack of variety in the roles she chooses, one could argue that a lot of her roles are merely an extension of her off reel bubbly personality (Jhoom Barabar Jhoom, Salaam Namaste, Jaaneman, Veer Zaara, Koi Mil Gaya, etc). And if she continues this way, the audience will definitely get tired. Some say she should expand her horizons and sign on new and exciting projects that challenge her as an actress and this couldn’t be agreed upon more. Her most celebrated roles were the ones that showed the most variety whether it was in Armaan, Kya Kehna, Kal Ho Na Ho or Chori Chori Chupke Chupke and we want that Preity back! Let’s hope future projects like The Last Lear and Mera Bharat Mahaan prove that she has the ability to be versatile.
3. Priyanka Chopra– The stunning Ms. Chopra sure did catch the attention of the audience and critics alike as Sonia in Aitraaz. Receiving an enormous amount of praise for this role and even going on to win the Filmfare Best Villain Award, she has never looked back since! She went on to give hits like Bluffmaster and Krrish. But lately she just hasn’t been impressive in terms of acting with her recent performances in Aap Ki Khatir, Salaam-E-Ishq, and (despite being a huge hit) Krrish. Critics were none too pleased with her in Barsaat and Yakeen either. Which leaves a huge question mark, did she get too hyped up from Aitraaz? Did we expect too much from this star? Could Ms Chopra’s days be numbered as a star who can act?
2. Salman Khan– Now here is an example of a star whose performance you can love in one film and hate in another. He is probably the most unpredictable! Whilst Salman has done a string of forgettable films with equally forgettable performances such as Hello Brother, Yeh Hai Jalwa and Chal Mere Bhai, there is no doubt that the guy can act when he makes the effort! You only have to watch Tere Naam, Phir Milenge, Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam or even his comic timing in No Entry to see that! But it seems lately he just can’t be bothered or doesn’t even try! Films like Maine Pyar Kyun Kiya, Baabul, and Salaam-E-Ishq showcase exactly that. Could Salman be slipping back into his ‘Hello Brother’ days? Or will he prove himself in future films like Partner and Mera Bharat Mahaan?
1. Shahrukh Khan — Placing this charismatic star in the number 1 slot is sure to spark outrage amongst his fans. But to be quite frank, some feel it is very highly deserved. There are 2 criticisms that often arise when this star’s name is mentioned. The first being the lack of variety in his roles and second being his recent performances as an actor. He has been loved and adored by all ages in films such as Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, K3G, Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge and Kal Ho Na Ho, and has received superstar status from these huge box office hits. But it just can’t go unnoticed that he has played the ‘lover boy’ role for the majority of his career. Just like Ms. Zinta, this is another actor that needs to give more variety! In the past his attempts to be different in films like Anjaam, Dil Se and Swades won him huge amounts of critical praise. Even his portrayal as negative characters in Baazigar and Darr, were some of the most appreciated performances in his career. But his recent performances, particularly in Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna and Don, have received a lot of flak and has left a lot to be desired. Maybe it’s time for the old Shahrukh to re-emerge. Let’s see what he has to offer in forthcoming films like Chak De India and Om Shanti Om!