Those balmy breezes and cooler nights are upon us and what better way to avoid them than to escape! With the arrival of the ‘holiday season’, millions of people across the globe, pack there bags in hope to find a place which accentuates the recreation of winter or transports them far far away. But where? Bollywood Spice brings you a special winter holiday special.
10. Cape Town and Robben Island – South Africa – Average winter temperatures of 25 degrees make Cape Town all the more inviting. It’s a fantastic place, not just for cosmopolitan life but just outside, they’ve got wine lands and whale watching and a lot of adrenalin sports so it’s a great place for a winter holiday. The weather’s great, with fantastic culture and beautiful scenery.
9. Whistler Blackcomb Ski Resort – Canada – This place defines what winter’s about. For skiing, tobogganing or making snowmen in winter, Whistler is the perfect spot. The winter Olympics were held here in 2006 and certainly lived up to its expectations, so this destination is really hot right now.
8. Gold Cost, Australia – Get away from chilly winters, to the hub of sun, sand and surf. The Gold Coast, Australia’s largest tourist attraction, not only offers the warmth of the pristine beaches, but is also famous for its theme parks. An ideal family getaway, to explore the lands down under.
7. Andorra – Located in Southwestern Europe between France and Spain, Andorra is an ideal adventure holiday destination. From snow – sports to walking to mountain biking, you’ll discover that the small nation of Andorra punches well above its weight when it comes to action and adventure.
6. The Algarve, Portugal – The Algarve is the southernmost region of Portugal and it’s one of Europe’s favourite holiday destinations well known for glorious year round sunshine and excellent sandy beaches. Located on the tip of Europe with the vast ocean of the Atlantic as its southern and western border, this enviable position gives this region possibly the most unpolluted climate in the European continent.
5. Switzerland – Most of us have only seen Switzerland in a Yash Chopra film, and wouldn’t even consider it as a holiday destination, but as it turns out, it’s quite a popular holiday spot. Switzerland is one of the most scenic destinations on our lists, with snow covered mountains of the Alps and spacious planes of greenery. Any chocoholics heaven, Switzerland is the home of the world’s most irresistible chocolate.
4. Dubai, United Arab Emirates – The scenic beauty of the Sultanate of Oman, together with a wide range of activities to entertain tourists, is making it a popular holiday destination. The all – year sunshine, beaches and tax free shopping attract many visitors. The famous Dubai Shopping Festival from 20 December to 2 February, provides a haven for all the women in the world.
3. Mauritius – Mauritius is a picturesque island with thickly wooded mountain peaks and sugar cane fields that border the beautiful coast of the Indian Ocean. Mauritius is known for it’s crystal clear waters and soft white sandy beaches. Unique features in Mauritius include the extinct volcanoes dotted around the island. The varied landscape, good quality hotels and water sports facilities along with the stunning beaches make Mauritius an excellent beach holiday destination.
2. Prague – The magical city of bridges, cathedrals, gold – tipped towers and church domes, whose image has been mirrored in the surface of the Vltava river for more than ten centuries. Prague is also a modern European metropolis full of energy, music, and art. It’s a place where different architectural styles stand cheek by jowl, creating an atmosphere that’s both intimate and romantic, and quite impossible to forget once you visit. A ‘winter wonderland’ awaits visitors to the Prague Christmas Markets. Soak up the atmosphere, browse the stalls and enjoy hearty food and hot wine.
1. Hawaii – Aloha! What better place for a winter escape than the beautiful Hawaiian islands, a place which is truly considered paradise. With tropical food, exotic localities and a generally relaxed atmosphere, Hawaii provides a home away from home for all those looking for a stress – free holiday. With an array of black sand, white sand and even green sand beaches, snorkeling, diving and surfing are just few of the many activities that Hawaii has to offer. This beautiful location was bound to be number one on our winter holiday destination list!