Saif Ali Khan made his mark as a producer with Love Aaj Kal in 2009, which also launched his home banner Illuminati Films. Post the success of their first production, Saif and co-owner Dinesh Vijain ventured into making another Indian love story abroad. Directed by Homi Adjania, the film is tentatively titled Cocktail and started its first schedule in London in the last weeks of May.
We have 10 facts full of scoop from the set just for BollySpice readers, check it out!
1. You probably know the film stars Deepika Padukone and Saif Ali Khan in pivotal roles, but did you know that Diana Penty will make her debut in Cocktail in an important role. She is a well-known model and was originally approached to star in Rockstar but she was ousted from the film without any explanation. Imtiaz Ali then recommended her to Saif and so, she became a part of this modern love story.
2. While we will not reveal the story, we do know that Cocktail is a love triangle: Saif and Deepika are in a relationship and the third is Diana who is their good friend.
3. 80% of the shoot has been completed in London while a few scenes will be filmed in India. Many scenes were shot indoors however, the crew primarily filmed on the streets of London. Unlike other recent projects filmed in the UK, Cocktail has been shot in London only.
4. Locations of the filming in London include Borough High Street, Borough market, Portobello Road, Leicester Square, Piccadilly Circus, Mayfair, Clapham Junction, Battersea Park, Bank Station, St. Pauls London, Colville Gardens (Notting Hill Gate), and Brick Lane.
5. The songs have been composed by Pritam and choreographed by Bosco-Caesar. One of them, a beautiful friendship song, is sung by Neeraj Shridhar . The makers have also bought the rights of a famous Pakistani song, which has been revised slightly for the film’s soundtrack.
6. Deepika Padukone gyrated to an English party song at the The Grand nightclub in Clapham Junction. She was dancing on a table leading the whole club, which was filled with over 300 extras. A DJ was hired for the music and the club lights were used to make it look as real as possible. Security was extra tight on the day to prevent outsiders entering the premises.
7. Boman Irani, who was in London to shoot for Priyadarshan’s Tezz also has a small role in this film and finished filming his scenes in a couple of days, right after finishing his earlier schedule. Irani is back in England shooting for Sajid Khan’s Housefull 2.
8. Kareena Kapoor joined Saif Ali Khan in London for a few days and surprisingly also bonded with Deepika Padukone. Saif and Deepika have been getting along like a house on fire, which proves that their friendship has grown since their awkward Love Aaj Kal days.
9. Did you know that Deepika had the need of a bodyguard at all times during her stay in London this time? Whether it was on locations for the film shoot or on days off, Padukone was always accompanied by her bodyguard. She was often spotted shopping in Selfridges and on Oxford Street with him. Nobody who was not a part of the film crew or knew her personally was allowed to approach the Om Shanti Om actress. Funnily, neither Saif nor Kareena had bodyguards with them while they were in London and often just walked out of their hotel onto the streets and started shopping or walking around, without being mobbed.
10. The schedule was wrapped up on the 23rd of June after which the actors (Saif Ali Khan and Deepika Padukone) had a week off to enjoy their favourite city. The film is due to release early next year.
We also have a video and some shots from the set!
Videos of the shooting posted by fans on YouTube can be seen here: http://saifalikhanonline.wordpress.com/2011/06/09/videos-of-shooting-for-cocktail-saif-ali-khan-and-deepika-padukone/